/story/113441/fantasy-world-making-tips-1-world-building-ideas/toc
Fantasy World Making Tips #1 - World Building Ideas | Penana
arrow_back
Fantasy World Making Tips #1 - World Building Ideas
more_vert share bookmark_border file_download
info_outline
format_color_text
toc
exposure_plus_1
coins
Search stories, writers or societies
Continue ReadingClear All
What Others Are ReadingRefresh
X
Never miss what's happening on Penana!
PG-13
Fantasy World Making Tips #1 - World Building Ideas
Lyra Mae
Intro Table of Contents Top sponsors Comments (0)

(I'm not a professional)

I've been working on a fantasy world for a while now, and it's going well for me. I have my friend to help, and they even get a self-insert thing! I might insert myself and a few other friends into the world. Although, in order to do that, you have to make the world first. So I'm here to kind of just- say stuff that I hope will help.

You've got a world idea in mind, whether more modern or medieval, and you want to plan it out. To do that, I'd say it's a good idea to think of what the kingdom names are. Why?

When I was building my world, it took me a while to figure out names for the kingdoms. I'd gone online and just searched 'name ideas'. The names of the kingdoms can help with the theme of the kingdom, and perhaps build up a bit more lore. 

For a quick example, one of the kingdoms I came up with was "Mara". The name Mara means 'Bitter', which can carry the implication of 'strength. With that, I came up with an idea of the kingdom's lore, and how citizens of the kingdom would interact with those of other kingdoms.

It can work with many other names too; look for a name you think is a good idea for a kingdom, make a bit of lore, and build up from there. It can take a long time to finalize your kingdom idea, and sound painful to have to go through the same process over and over again. Once you get into it though, world-building can be entertaining, and dare I say..... addicting.

You don't have to world-build alone though. I've been working with a close friend on the world for a majority of the time, and I'd say it might be better working with friends. Of course, you can work in your own style, and I worked alone at first as well, but having someone else to work with can be pretty helpful.

The two, or more of you, can come up with ideas together, and then you can help edit and revise each other's ideas. I do suggest world-building with someone you think is trustworthy, as having someone else steal your ideas wouldn't be too nice, especially when it took a long time to finalize.

Everyone has their own work styles, so whether working together or alone, you're bound to have perhaps a bit of fun making your own world.

Show Comments
BOOKMARK
Total Reading Time:
toc Table of Contents
bookmark_border Bookmark Start Reading >
×


Reset to default

X
×
×

Install this webapp for easier offline reading: tap and then Add to home screen.